The Bentley Drivers Club Limited (the "Club") was formed in April 1936, by a small group of W.O. Bentley owners who were brought together by the efforts and enthusiasm of Keston Pelmore, who attached notes to Bentley motors at a Brooklands race meeting. By the outbreak of war in September 1939, there were some one hundred members with former Bentley Motors chairman and famous racing driver Woolf Barnato as President. The enthusiastic members, who all owned W.O. Bentleys, engaged in sporting and social events and held dinners attended by other Bentley Racers of the nineteen twenties, Benjafield, Davis and Clement.
The Club and its limited funds were care taken during the Second World War, in which Keston Pelmore was killed and in July 1945, advertisements were placed in the motoring press inviting Bentley owners to a cocktail party upon which most of the Clubīs funds were spent. As it was evident that there was sufficient interest to revive the Club, Stanley Sedgwick offered to take on Honorary Secretary ship and subsequently became the club patron, second only to the founding Patron, Walter Owen Bentley who died in August 1971. One of the first actions of the committee was to agree to accept membership from owners of R-R Derby produced Bentleys and in 1946, this privilege was extended to owners of Crewe built cars.